Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Savory Waffles (using NS pancake mix)



So, I finally decided and got a waffle iron. My first one! The All-Clad special edition available at Williams-Sonoma finally made me cave in. Pricey, but hopefully worth its money in quality-delivering waffles. My first try had to be savory, because I like savory more than sweet anyhow, and it was time for lunch, too. So, here are savory waffles with egg and cheese.

Waffle batter:
1 NS pancake mix
1 ts herbs de provence (I like the mix from Dean & Deluca)
1/2 ts Mrs Dash garlic and herbs
1/8 ts baking powder
1/8 ts baking soda
1/3 cup + a bit ff buttermilk

Filling:
1/4 cp eggbeaters
salt, pepper, Mrs Dash garlic and herbs
1 slice ff veggie cheese (soy-based), pepper jack flavor

Mix waffle batter with all ingredients. It should be a bit liquidy, but not too much. Preheat waffle iron, and fill in batter in the middle of iron with a ladle. Close the iron, and bake to desired brown-ness.

Meanwhile, heat a skillet, and cook the egg with the spices like an omelette. Fold, cut, once it is done, and serve on the waffle with the cheese. The heat will slightly melt the cheese.

1 lunch entree (or breakfast entree + protein)

1 comment:

  1. I made this for breakfast this morning - it's terrific, so flavorful - thanks for the recipe, Shirley

    ReplyDelete